Dear Union students, faculty and staff:
Developing every student to lead with wisdom, empathy and courage, in ways large and small, now and across multiple tomorrows.
– Vision Statement from the Union College Strategic Plan
Dear Member of the Union College Community –
Shortly after I joined the Union community in 2018, we began to develop a Strategic Plan for “every student.”
Those two words – “every student” – are important. Every student must not only have access to all that the College offers, they must feel a part of this vibrant learning community. This must also extend to ALL members of the Union community – faculty, staff and alumni.
We have made significant progress in recent years toward our goal of creating a diverse, inclusive and welcoming place for all.
Among our accomplishments,
- We have explored sensitive and difficult issues through our Constructive Engagement series.
- Our History and Symbols committee has examined how our spaces, symbols and monuments advance an inclusive environment.
- Programs such as the First-Generation Experience and the Schuler Initiative are helping to ensure that we provide access and outreach to all students.
- A re-imagined GenEd curriculum is asking students to explore global and complex issues of social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- The Women at Union project is considering ways to further enhance the campus experience of women.
- We have restructured our leadership model around DEIB, now with Dru Alvez and Francesca Mesiti sharing that role and working closely with others around the College.
Please take a few moments to read “Every Student: A Report on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging,” which expands on these and other initiatives.
As we celebrate our progress, it is vital that we realize that our work to create and maintain an inclusive and welcoming community – a culture – is never done. And this work requires every one of us.
Thank you for joining in this important work.