The following guidelines have been created to promote an orderly and equitable distribution of faculty travel funds among those wishing to travel for scholarly or educational purposes.
For 2019-2020 fiscal year only:
Faculty may request travel funds for PRESENTING a paper:
$2,000 per year for domestic travel OR $2,300 per year for international travel including Canada
Faculty may request travel funds for the categories of ATTENDANCE ONLY | CHAIR SESSION | OFFICER
$1,500 per year for domestic OR $1,800 for international travel including Canada
- In order to support and encourage professional activity, faculty members may apply for reimbursement up to $1,500 per year for expenses incurred as a result of attendance at professional meetings ($1,800 for international travel). There is no limit on the number of meetings one may attend. Available travel funds will be distributed on a first-come-first-serve basis throughout the year.
- Forms to request travel funds are available online
Requests must be submitted to the Dean of Academic Departments and Programs (Olin 210) at least two weeks before departure so that budgets can be evaluated and faculty notified in advance of the amount that is approved. Travel arrangements made before approval may not be honored. Once approved, you will be notified by the Dean’s office.
- Requests for travel funds that exceed $1,500/year normally will be considered only later in the fiscal year and then only if funds are still available.
- The College will pay all reasonable expenses incurred for ground and/or air transportation. It is expected that faculty will avail themselves of the most economical and reasonable method of transportation.
- Faculty members are required to obtain original itemized receipts for reimbursement of expenses that exceed $10 per transaction. In the new UI Works program you must scan your receipts and attach electronic copies to your transaction.
- With receipts, the maximum allowance for meals is $60 per day of travel, including tax and gratuities; $225 per night of travel, including tax, for room rent; and $.505 per mile if driving one’s own car. Additional room expenses such as movies, snacks, and drinks are not reimbursable from either the Faculty Travel Fund or accounts administered by academic departments or programs.
- If it is not possible to obtain receipts for lodging and/or meals, the College’s per diem rate for living expenses is $90 per day (meals and hotel). If a receipt for lodging only is submitted, then the per diem rate for meals is $45 per day maximum.
- Upon your return, reconcile your expenses through the Works program using you Research and Travel Account number. https://payment2.works.com/works/ Specific reconciliation procedures are sent to you when your request is approved.
- Expenses must be reconciled before the end of the fiscal year, June 30.
updated June 2019