Academic Affairs

Policy on Editorial Work Support

Most editorial work performed by Union College faculty is performed as part of the faculty member's professional service, without compensation unless such is provided by the journal in question. The College supports funding for travel associated with editorial responsibilities in three ways:

  1. When editorial meetings occur within the context of conferences, a faculty member can apply for conference travel funds,
  2. travel and other expenses associated with editorial work are legitimate expenditures from individual research and travel accounts as well as departmental accounts,
  3. faculty members can apply to the Dean of Academic Departments and Programs for funds if they cannot be obtained in either of the other ways.

If a faculty member were to have an opportunity to serve as editor-in-chief of a very prestigious journal that would be published at Union, he or she can apply for one course release in support of the editorial work.

Last Updated: February 3, 2011