Employing best practices, theories and benchmarking, the Presidential Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will focus on creating systemic and sustainable change at Union College. Working collaboratively across campus, the Committee will assess and implement diversity initiatives that will not only address the needs of Union College, but it will also enhance the College’s campus climate and strengthen our effort in creating an inclusive and equitable campus community for all students, faculty and staff.
In addition to committing to diversify our faculty, students, and staff and advancing initiatives to create a more inclusive campus culture, the Presidential Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion will lead the College in the work that will better reflect the globalized society, while also increasing democratic outcomes for students and employees including greater citizenship engagement and cross-cultural understanding. The pursuit of excellence and diversity are intertwined and integral to achieving the Union’s mission of providing a rigorous, holistic, and immersive residential liberal education that emphasizes integration, innovation, inclusion, and reflection for every student.
The Presidential Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion aims to guide Union College in meeting its objectives in building an inclusive and equitable learning community by:
- Identifying procedural gaps that impact institutional practices and providing recommendations to create sustainable change
- Enhancing awareness of diversity, equity and inclusion issues that impact us as a learning community
- Focusing on accessibility and visibility of programming, events, and functions of community engagement.
Working with President Harris and the Chief Diversity Officers, the Committee has two main charges for 2021 -
- Conduct a digital audit pertinent to the subcommittee's area identifying what intuitional committees, policies, procedures, and programming that exists; evaluate effectiveness and accessibility of information gathered.
- Provide specific strategic goal(s), recommended action(s), resource(s) needed to achieve objectives