Information for Commencement
Dear Graduating Seniors,
Commencement – on Sunday June 11th, at 10:00 a.m. -- is just around the corner!
The ceremony is designed to create a meaningful and exciting experience for you and your family. Since there is no rehearsal, I want to take this opportunity to outline some aspects of the ceremony that you should understand in advance.
· Commencement will be held outside in the event of dry weather or light rain. Please arrive on South Terrace Lane (between Sorum and Fox) in your cap and gown no later than 8:45 a.m. Faculty and student marshals will help each of you find your place in line. (Marshals will assist you with logistics throughout the ceremony as well.)
· Cap tassles are worn on the right side of your cap at the start of the event. Toward the end of the ceremony, you will be instructed to flip it to the left side of your cap.
· No alcoholic beverages may be brought to the lineup area or the ceremony.
· We will provide light breakfast fare in the lineup area.
· You will be given a card indicating your place in line. Please hold onto your lineup card throughout the procession and as you are called to cross the stage to receive your diploma case.
· There will be water underneath your seat during the ceremony.
· Grad Images will take three individual pictures of you: the first before you step up to the stage; the second as you receive your diploma case from President Harris, and the third a close-up before you walk down the Lippman Hall Colonnade. Approximately two weeks after Commencement, Grad Images will send you a selection of the proofs so that you may purchase photographs (though there is no obligation to do so).
· For your comfort, consider wearing comfortable shoes and light clothing (under your gown) so that you don’t overheat.
· If you need to use the restroom during the ceremony, you may do so in Lippman Hall.
· After the ceremony, you will process out of the Nott Memorial toward Rugby Field, through the faculty. Once you do so, please proceed immediately to find the table signed with the department or program of your major to pick up your diploma (see the Commencement Program for a map). If you are an ID major, your diploma will be at the table for the program that appears *first* in the title of your ID major (e.g., if you are a Biology-Political Science ID major, you would go to the Biology table).
· In the event of sustained, drenching rain or severe weather, the ceremony will be held in Memorial Field House. You may check the Commencement website on Sunday morning to confirm if the ceremony will move indoors. If it does, there will be no marching. Please go straight to the seating area reserved for graduates no later than 9:15 a.m. Look for your seats in alphabetical order and be seated. Due to limited indoor seating capacity, each student has been issued four rain tickets. These have been sent to your campus mailboxes. Others may watch the ceremony in College Park Hall (recommended) or Olin 115, on large screens.
· The Baccalaureate Commemoration will take place at on Saturday, June 10th at 4:00 p.m. in Memorial Chapel. This is a ceremony for the graduating seniors and their guests, with senior class speakers, a faculty speaker and student musical performances.
I look forward to seeing you on Commencement Weekend and to celebrating with you.
PS: On the commencement website linked above, there is a template for a lawn sign in case this would be a fun item for your families!
- Students need to submit an audio file with the correct pronunciation of their name as they wish it to be announced at the Commencement Ceremony. Use a mobile app such as Voice Memo on an iPhone. The file must be in one of the following formats: MPC; M4A; WAV; or CAF.
MAKE SURE YOU SUBMIT YOUR NAME PRONUNCIATION BY MAY 15.
Click here to submit your name pronunciation.
- Meet with the Registrar for your audit during the fall/winter term.
- Order your cap and gown. An email will be sent to each senior by the Campus Store by the end of April. The email will contain a link for you to order your cap and gown. If you need assistance, please contact Mark Yetman, Campus Store Manager.
- Plan for moving out of your residence hall by 6:00pm on Sunday, June 11, 2023.
Celebrate your graduation with a Senior Portrait! Seniors can sign up for a senior portrait sitting with iSmile Studios from April 10-14th and May 22-26th. The sessions will be held right on campus. Students will have the ability to take photos with a standard backdrop, as well as in the favorite spots on campus. The studio will provide a cap, gown, and great Union props to use, though students can also bring their own items to use in portraits. There is no session fee and students have the option to purchase a package of prints, digitals, or both to share with family and friends. Seniors can check their email for the link to sign up.
Class rings from Balfour can be ordered here.