What is committee review?
Many professional schools (dentistry, medicine, optometry, physical therapy, pharmacy, and podiatry) require a committee evaluation of applicants. The Union Health Professions Advisory Committee (HPAC) evaluates applicants based on the same criteria used by professional schools:
1. Grades – both math/science and overall grade point averages
2. Extracurricular involvement-including clinical experience, research, volunteer work, campus involvement, leadership skills, work experience
4. Strong interpersonal skills
5. Evaluation letters
Steps for committee review:
1. Participate in the online Health Professions January Informational Meeting. Please refer to Student Resources for a link to the PowerPoint.
4. Complete Health Professions Advisory Committee online portfolio after getting access from the Health Professions Office.
5. The Health Professions Advisory Committee requests applicants provide 4 total reference letters when going through review, including 2 letters from science professors and 2 additional letters, preferably one from a professor from a non-science course or term abroad and one from a supervisor from a substantial activity (i.e. manager or supervisor from a place of employment or volunteer activity, a research lab supervisor etc..).
Note: Evaluators cannot be a member of the Health Professions Advisory Committee.
Reference letters must be requested using our Health Professions Advisory Committee Individual Evaluation Letter Request form.
6. Complete two one-hour interviews with HPAC members.
Please note: If you are a re-applicant or you are applying in a different cycle than when you were reviewed by the committee, you will need to provide the Health Professions Office with an update letter so that schools have a better understanding of your candidacy beyond what would have been included in the original committee letter. The update letter provides an opportunity for you to highlight medical and service-related experiences and activities that occurred after the committee reviewed you. The letter should be addressed "Dear Health Professions Advisory Committee", and it should be dated, signed, and not exceed one page. The letter will be sent to professional schools with your committee letter, so it should be formal and professional. A pdf of the letter should be sent along with a pdf of your completed, submitted application and reference form(s) in one email communication to Health_pro@union.edu
Steps to ensure committee letter is submitted on your behalf:
1. Complete and submit application (AMCAS, ACOMAS, AADSAS, OPCAS etc…). Don’t forget to request transcripts be sent to the application service as well.
2. Email a PDF version of your submitted application to email@example.com. Note: AMCAS applicants must also email a PDF of the letter request form along with the submitted application.
Committee letters will be sent to schools on a rolling basis – earlier is better. Note: successful applicants typically complete their primary application by mid-June and their secondary applications by August. Do not wait until the fall term – this is when you could be interviewing!
Health Professions Advisory Committee Members
- Committee Chair: Carol Weisse, Director of Health Professions Program
- Rhona Beaton, Assistant Director of Health Professions Program
- Michele Angrist, Dean of Studies
- Brian Cohen, Biology
- Ellen Gasparovic, Math
- Joanne Kehlbeck, Chemistry
- Scott LaBrake, Physics
- Matt Milless, Assistant Dean of Students
- Shena McAuliffe, English