Human Resources

Other Benefits


College-Owned Apartments

College-owned apartments are occasionally available, contact Paul Matarazzo, Facilities Services at (518) 388-6181 for more information. Also consider inquiring with Human Resources at (518) 388-6108 regarding recent notices of available apartments or houses.

College Park Home Loan Assistance Program

The College Park Home Loan Assistance Program was established to offer assistance to employees who purchase a home in College Park. The College will provide a maximum of $5,000 in the form of a forgivable loan (at the rate of 20% per year) to pay for required contract deposits, appraisals, inspections and other related closing costs. This benefit is available to full time employees with two years of service. See your Staff/Administrative/Faculty Manual for more details.

Realtor Services

If you are in need of real estate services, Union College recommends the following agents:

Keller Williams Capital District

Marion DeSantis, Licensed Associate Real Estate Broker

935 New Loudon Rd, Latham NY 12110

(518) 378-2200,

Berkshire Hathaway Home Services Blake, Realtors

Stephanie Cuva, Director of Relocation

8 Airline Drive-Suite 104, Albany, NY 12205

(518) 452-4298 Ext. 1301, Office (518) 935-2555,

The following are a few websites that should be helpful in locating an apartment in Schenectady or the Capital Region:

Computer Loan

The College encourages technology awareness by its employees. Full-time employees, after one year of service, may receive a pay advance (up to $2,250) to purchase one piece of equipment which may be a laptop, a desktop computer, or an IPAD. The advance may also include a printer and/or operating software. Purchases may be through the College Bookstore or an outside vendor. Pay advances are repaid through payroll deductions over a maximum twenty four (24) month period. Employees who request a pay advance to purchase this technology or equipment will receive a written notice detailing the terms and conditions of repayment. Employees are eligible for more than one pay advance for this purpose in the course of their employment following repayment of any previous pay advance. Please contact Joanne Herrick, (518) 388-6105 for an appointment.

Credit Unions

Employees of the College are eligible to become members of the First New York Federal Credit Union or Capital Communications Federal Credit Union. Both Credit Unions offer interest-varying savings accounts and also makes loans. Arrangements must be made directly with the Credit Union for any of the services they offer. It is possible to have payroll deductions made for deposit to your Credit Union savings account. Those arrangements, too must be made directly with the Credit Union. First New York Federal Credit Union is located at 1776 Union Street, Schenectady, Telephone (518) 393-1326. Capital Communications Federal Credit Union is located at 18 Computer Drive, Albany, NY 12205, Telephone (518) 458-2195.

Moving and Relocation Reimbursement

Newly hired faculty and administrators are eligible for reimbursement of moving and relocation expenses incurred in their move to the Schenectady area.

**Please note that moving and relocation reimbursements are treated as taxable income**

Reimbursable moves can be either self-moves, made by the use of rented equipment (i.e. U-Haul, Rider, Budget, ABF U-Pack Moving, Pods) or commercial-moves, through a moving company (i.e. Corrigan/United Van Lines).

• The maximum reimbursable amount for a self-move will be the actual cost of the self-move, up to $4,000 dollars.

• The maximum reimbursable amount for a commercial-move will be one-half the cost of the commercial move, up to $4,000 dollars.

Whether through a self-move or commercial-move the policy does not provide reimbursement for mileage, personal transportation, personal expenses (i.e. food, lodging, travel), vehicle transportation, storage, warehouse costs, or secondary moves.

Requests for reimbursement should be submitted to Becky Rapp, Financial Services (, (518) 388-6534). For reimbursement of self-moves an itemized summary and original receipts is required; for reimbursement of commercial moves a quote and original invoice is required.

Commercial Moving Agreements

The College has entered into an agreement with Corrigan Moving Systems/United Van Lines ((800) 333-0763), which provides discounted rates for interstate moving, packing materials, packing services and storage in transit, free “full value protection coverage, up to $120,000, and waiving of peak season rate adjustments. For more information, please go to:their website here.

Some specialized or local moving companies (i.e. California to New York Express) may offer an even lower package so please check all options before contracting with a specific mover.

If you have any questions regarding the Moving and Relocation policy, please contact Becky Rapp at (518) 388-6534.