Megan M. Ferry
Professor of Chinese
Karp Hall 223
Areas of expertise
Modern Chinese literature, culture and language.
Chinese language pedagogy, language curriculum development, language program development
Cultural studies, Media and gender studies, language pedagogy
Language, literature and film, media and gender studies, interdisciplinary (STEM and languages)
BOOKS and BOOK CHAPTERS
- Chinese Women Writers and Modern Print Culture. Amherst, NY: Cambria Press, 2018. 290 pp. ISBN 9781604979381
- “Between Realism and Romanticism: Queering Gender Representation in Cui Zi’en’s Night Scene.” Contemporary Chinese Art and Film: Theory Applied and Resisted. Jason Kuo, editor. Washington, D.C.: New Academia Publishing, 2013.
- “China Travels to Africa: Cultural Representation in the Age of Globalization.” China and New Left Visions: Political and Cultural Interventions. Ban Wang and Jie Lu, editors. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2012.
- “Marketing Chinese Women Writers in the 1990s, or the Politics of Self-Fashioning,” China’s Literary and Cultural Scenes at the Turn of the 21st Century. Jie Lu, editor. New York: Routledge, 2008.
- “Woman and Her Affinity to Literature: Defining Women Writers’ Role in China’s Cultural Modernity,” Contested Modernities in Chinese Literature. Charles Laughlin, editor. New York: Palgrave, 2005.
- “性别意识与主体性：丁玲和Christa Wolf的比较” Xingbie yishi yu zhutixing: Ding Ling he Christa Wolf de bijiao [Gender consciousness and subjectivity: A comparison between Ding Ling and Christa Wolf], 丁玲与中国女性文学 Ding Ling yu Zhongguo nüxing wenxue [Ding Ling and Chinese women’s literature]. Luo Weixuan, editor. Changsha, China: Hunan Wenyi Press, 1998: 187-193.
- “现代中国女性的商品意味” Xiandai Zhongguo nüxing de shangpin yiwei [The commodification of modern Chinese women], 《世界之交的妇女与婚姻家庭》 Shiji zhi jiao de funü yu hunyin jiating [Woman and family at the end of the century]. Zhang Yibin, editor. Beijing: 中国妇女出版社 Zhongguo Funü Press, 1997: 25-32.
- “Xiao Hong,” Biographical Dictionary of Chinese Women: The Twentieth Centry, 1912-2000. Lily Xiao Hong Lee, editor. New York: ME Sharpe, 2002: 580-585. ISBN 978-0765607980
- “蕭紅,” 中國婦女傳記辭典. Lily Xiao Hong Lee, Yubing Chen, editors. Sydney: Sydney University Press. 2016. ISBN 9781743325223, 1743325223
- Ghaly, A.M. and Ferry, M.M. “To Dam Or Not To Dam: An Insight Into The Environmental Politics Of Rivers,” American Society of Engineering Education (ASEE), Zone 1 Conference Proceedings, West Point, March, 2008. (peer reviewed)
- Ghaly, A.M. and Ferry, M.M. “The New Wall of China: The Humanistic and Engineering Aspects of Taming a Turbulent River,” University of North Carolina Asheville Science and Humanities Conference, October, 2007. (conference proceeding)
- “Women’s Literary History: Inventing Tradition in Modern China,” Modern Language Quarterly 66.3 (September 2005): 299-328.
- “Advertising, Consumerism and Nostalgia for the New Woman in Contemporary China,” Continuum: Journal of Media and Cultural Studies 17:3 (2003): 277-290.
- “Marketing Chinese Women Writers in the 1990s, or the Politics of Self-Fashioning,” Journal of Contemporary China, 12:37 (2003): 655-675.
- “Visions of the Chinese Cultural Revolution in Latin America: China as Utopia,” Modern Chinese Literature and Culture, 12:2 (Fall, 2000): 236-269.
- “‘Zhuangzi Speaks’: The Reception of the Dao by Cai Zhi Zhong and his Readers,” Tao. Reception in East and West, ed. Adrian Hsia. Bern: Peter Lang, 1994: 165-181.
LANGUAGE PEDAGOGY AND CURRICULUM
- Climate Change and Me Project-Based Language Learning in Chinese, Pebbles Project-Based Language Learning Repository, National Foreign Language Research Center (NFLRC), Hawai’i, 2018. Invited.
- Chinese language curriculum for 5-8 grade, including language framework, scope and sequence, unit plans and assessments for Schenectady Public School District, Schenectady, NY, 2009.
- Chinese Language proficiency exam for Checkpoint C of the New York State, using Regents Exam criteria and format. Exam distributed to Chinese high school language teachers in the Capital District for piloting, 2009. Still in use in Capital District public schools.
- Chinese Language proficiency exam for Checkpoint A of the New York State, using Proficiency Exam criteria and format. Exam distributed to Chinese high school language teachers in the Capital District for piloting, 2009. Still in use in Capital District public schools.
- Chino básico (first year curriculum for Spanish-speaking learners of Chinese) (unpublished).