- Eligibility and Documentation Guidelines
Disabilities Testing Referrals
We have several local resources for disabilities testing.
University at Albany - Psychological Services Center
299 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12206
Tel: (518) 442-4900 Fax: (518) 442-4844
Services are offered on a sliding scale fee basis.
1311 Union Street
Schenectady, NY 12308
Campbell House Psychological Associates
101 State St.
Schenectady, NY 12305
Adirondack Neuropsychological Associates
120 West Avenue, Suite 205
Saratoga Springs, NY
Office of Student Success
The Office of Student Success provides academic support for all students through programs such as Supplemental Instruction (SI) and Academic Coaching. See the Office of Student Success webpage for more information about these programs, as well as the Academic Help Centers (tutoring) available on campus.
- FAQ for Parents of Students with Disabilities
- 5 Steps to College Accommodations: A Guide for Students with Learning Differences
- 10 Things to Teach Your Teenager Before They Leave Home
- Laptop Request Form for Essay Exams
Tips for Practicing Mindfulness
Mindfulness takes practice, time and effort. Typically, you begin the practice with 5 minutes of “mindfulness of breath.” (Focus on breathing, be in the present/now)
- RAIN exercise: (1) Recognize - what emotion you are feeling right now? Name the emotion. E.g., overwhelmed, sad, anger, anxiousness (2) Accept - can I accept that I am experiencing this emotion even if I don’t want it? (3) Investigate - How is this emotion affecting my body, thoughts and behavior right now? (4) Non-Identify with your negative emotions - know that it is temporary, doesn’t define you as a person, will go away. Cultivate positive emotions and appreciate other peoples’ presence in your life; gratitude.
- STOP exercise: (1) Stop what you are doing; (2) Take a break and a breath; (3) Observe - where is my attention right now? Notice sounds, body, breath; (4) Proceed - Do I keep doing what I am doing OR do I change direction/activity?
- Quick/easy ways to practice mindfulness each day - (1) be in the present; (2) telephone breath - take a mindful breath every time the phone rings before you pick up for awareness of breath; (3) red light breath - same thing at a red light while driving.