Accommodative Services

Special Accommodation Requests - Forms & documents

Special Accommodation Requests

The information and forms here relate to special accommodation requests in the following areas:

  • housing accommodations
  • meal plan/dining accommodations
  • reduced course load
  • medical disability

Also included is information on how to register with Accommodative Services as a new, incoming student.

Special Housing Accommodation Requests

Special housing requests are subject to recommendation by the Special Accommodations Committee (SAC) based on medical documentation and availability of the accommodation. In order to be considered for special accommodation you must complete the Special Housing Accommodation Request Form and submit it to the Director of Accommodative Services, Shelly Harrington, at

Students with special requests due to a medical condition are strongly encouraged to make the College aware of these needs as early as possible in the housing assignment process. Union College’s SAC will review all requests for special accommodation as outlined in Union College's Office of Community Standards Student Handbook.

Special Housing Accommodation Request Form

Meal Plan Accommodation Requests


Food allergies may constitute a disability under the ADA, 42 U.S.C.~ 12102. Individuals with food allergies may have an autoimmune response to certain foods, the symptoms of which may include difficulty swallowing and breathing, asthma, and anaphylaxis. The college has set up a procedure to ensure that all requests are appropriately considered.

To request a dining accommodation, a student must begin by completing the Meal Plan/Dining Accommodation Request Form describing his or her documented disability. The student must also supply current and appropriate medical documentation which has been completed by the appropriate medical professional. The medical professional cannot be related to the student applying. Students will often be required to meet with the Director of Dining Services to discuss their needs and learn of the options available to them. Dining Services is very understanding of the challenges with today’s diverse dining needs and has many options for students. (See The College also employs a registered dietitian and appointments can be scheduled.

Requests for dining accommodations are handled by the Special Accommodations Committee (SAC). The SAC will notify students of its decision in writing. The decision will be based on the medical necessity of the accommodation. If the accommodation is not granted, students may appeal the decision to the ADA/504 Coordinator. Students may also reapply for the following trimester.

The completed Meal Plan/Dining Accommodation Request Form and accompanying documentation should be submitted to the Director of Accommodative Services, Shelly Harrington, who can be reached at

Reduced Course Load Accommodation Requests

A student seeking a reduced course load must formally petition the Director of Accommodative Services and submit appropriate documentation to establish that such an accommodation is necessary based on the student’s current medical/disability related limitations.

A student may be granted a reduced course load (two courses) as a reasonable accommodation, along with a reduced tuition charge, upon providing evidence that such an adjustment is necessary in order for the student to access his/her education. Requests for reduced course load, and the accompanying reduction in tuition, must be received no later than the third day of the term. Other requests for reduced course load will be entertained but will not result in a reduced tuition. The College is not obligated to offer a reduced tuition as an accommodation. Accordingly, if a student wishes the benefit of this type of support, his/her request for reduced tuition must be submitted by the third day of the term. For more detailed information about this special accommodation request, see Union College's Office of Community Standards Student Handbook.

Students are cautioned that there may be a financial and or educational consequence to taking a reduced load and are encouraged to:

  • Consult with Financial Aid Office with regard to any aid they are receiving and how that aid may be impacted by a reduced course load.
  • Consult with Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor, if applicable, in so far as how a reduced load might affect that agency’s support of the student.
  • Consult with their academic advisor or the Dean of Studies with regard to the effect a reduced course load may have on their academic progress in their course of study, their general education requirements, and prospective graduation date.

Reduced Course Load Accommodation Request Form

Medical Disability

Students requesting accommodations due to a medical disability must submit a Medical Disability Verification Form and supporting documentation, if applicable. To establish that an individual is covered under the law, documentation must indicate that a specific disability exists and that the identified disability substantially limits one or more major life activities. A diagnosis of a disorder in and of itself does not automatically qualify an individual for accommodation. The documentation must also support the request for accommodations and academic adjustments.

Register with Accommodative Services

If you are a new, incoming student and wish to register with Accommodative Services, please click here for more information and to register.