New Student Academic Planning Guide

Transfer Students

Incoming transfer students should not follow the same preregistration procedures as incoming first-year students. Please read on for information regarding Course Registration, AP Credits, and Math and Science Requirements and Placement Exams.

Registering for Classes

Once you have paid your deposit to attend Union College, a deposit confirmation letter will be mailed to you. The Dean of Studies will then be in contact with you and will provide you with your transfer credit evaluation. The Dean of Studies also will assign you to an academic advisor, and you will work with your advisor over the summer to register for Fall courses.

AP Credits

Information about AP Credit can be found here. If you have specific questions regarding your AP Credits, please contact the Registrar's Office at (518) 388-6016 or

Placement Exams


All students are required to fulfill one Quantitative and Mathematical Reasoning (QMR) requirement. Transfer students who have not already taken a transferrable college-level Math Course will need to take the Mathematics Placement Exam by July 15 for placement in the appropriate math course.


All students must take a minimum of two science courses, one of which must have a laboratory component. Transfer students who have not taken a college-level Chemistry course but would like to take one, should take the Chemistry Placement Exam by July 15.

For more information on Mathematics and Science requirements and placement exams, please visit this site.