Information security in higher education is often looked at as an oxymoron. How can we foster an open teaching and learning environment while expecting members of the community to follow rigid and archaic rules that fly in the face of being open? It turns out that information security doesn't need to be as difficult or scary as it sounds. It's not about big brother policing everything we do, it's about our community working together to ensure a more stable environment for everyone. Information security is just a newer concept than physical security and so it seems more confusing. However, just as you wouldn't leave your door unlocked, your jewelry out in a common area or go speeding through campus too fast, you also shouldn't give out your password, leave grade spreadsheets out on printers or forget to keep your computer up-to-date with patches and virus scanning.
But, this a new area that many are unfamiliar with and ITS is here to help! This site will serve as a resource for anyone looking to learn more about security and privacy in the digital world. This site is just a starting point though! If you have questions beyond what is here and would like to know more, contact the ITS Help Desk at (518) 388-6400 or email us at email@example.com.
Information Security in the News
- February 25, 2019 - Scammers go after international students’ money
- January 17, 2019 - 'Collection 1' breach exposes 773M unique emails, 21M passwords
- June 26, 2017 - IRS Warn of Summertime Scams
- March 24, 2017 - Aviation Phishing Scams
- December 2, 2016 - Phishing What Consumers Need To Know
- April 11, 2014 - The Good News About Heartbleed
- October 23, 2013 - Professors Afforded Few Guarantees of Privacy in the Internet Age
- Sept 30, 2013 - The Perils of Hacking Math
- Sept 23, 2013 - Hackers Defeat iPhone Fingerprint Reader - but Should You Really Worry?
- July 16, 2013 - Universities Face a Rising Barrage of Cyberattacks
- June 28, 2013 - The Injustices of Open Data
- June 26, 2013 - Fact and Fiction in the NSA Surveillance Scandal
- May 21, 2013 - Journalists Find Massive Data Security Lapse, Get Threats Instead of Thanks
- May 2, 2013 - New Report Details Which Internet Companies You Can (and Can't) Trust With Your Personal Data
- April 26, 2013 - Face-Off Over Warrantless Cellphone Tracking at House Judiciary Committee Hearing
- April 26, 2013 - Cybercriminals Waste Little Time in Targeting Latest Java Flaws
- April 23, 2013 - Would You Click the Link in This Email That Apparently Tricked the AP?