Computing services are provided by ITS to assist Union College faculty and staff in using technology to perform their administrative, instructional, or research work. These are some of the services ITS provides:
- Help Desk support for computing and technology issues including training and troubleshooting for supported hardware and software and responding to day-to-day questions and problems. They can also help you get your smartphone configured to access Union College email. You can reach the ITS Help Desk by calling x6400 or e-mailing email@example.com or visiting the website at https://helpdesk.union.edu.
- Learning Technologies and Environments staff offer faculty assistance with understanding how to effectively utilize teaching-oriented technology and tools in ways that produce meaningful learning experiences for students. In addition, this group provides audio-visual services and support for technology-enhanced learning spaces and instructional facilities.
- Administrative offices have department liaisons who serve as an important resource in the delivery of information services.
- Faculty and staff have access to Lynda.com, an online subscription library that teaches the latest software, creative, and business skills through high-quality instructional videos.
- Access to IT research information and webinars utilized by the majority of Fortune 1000 and Global 500 companies is available via the Gartner Group.
- Computer accounts that provide access to email, the Internet, user file space and off-campus access. The appropriate form to sign would have been provided to you when you began your employment at Union College.
- Office computers are maintained, replaced and upgraded by ITS for faculty and staff. When faculty or academic staff members have multiple computers provided by the College, one computer is designated to be the “primary” office computer. This designation will be made by ITS in consultation with the faculty member, staff member or department chair as appropriate. This is the system that will be tracked for purpose of the replacement cycle.
- Technology purchasing assistance is available to members of the Union College community. ITS should be consulted in regards to both hardware and software needs. This includes any purchases being considered through the Computer Sales department of the College's bookstore.
- There are College discounts on cellular phone plans available for employees with personal plans. Vendors include AT&T, Sprint/Nextel, and Verizon Wireless.
- Electronic classrooms are available in three configurations: presentation classrooms, collaborative computer classrooms and laptop classrooms. In addition, each of the Minerva houses has a seminar room equipped with a limited amount of technology. Scheduling of the classrooms for routine, academic classes is handled by the Registrar's Office.
- The Faculty Computing Resource Center (FCRC), located in the Digital Studio on the second floor of Schaffer Library, provides faculty with an opportunity to investigate new software and hardware, with time being the only investment expended. The facility is also available for limited faculty production work.
- There are multiple public computing facilities on campus. Several are located in the Schaffer Library and a 24 hour lab is located in Wold.