Enrollment Certification and Loan Deferments

Letters of Certification for Current Students (Student Self-Service)

Using Student Self-Service, students can print their own Enrollment Verification certificates, Good Student Discount certificates (if they qualify), view their enrollment history and verifications and check loan deferments sent to their lenders. Students can access the "Student Self-Service" feature by logging into Application Dashboard (My Apps) using the National Student Clearinghouse (NCS) tile. Student Self-Service is provided through the National Student Clearinghouse, a non-profit organization serving the higher education community.

Degree or Enrollment Verifications for Third Parties

Union College has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications to prospective employers and background screening firms. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at:

Web: Degree Verification or Enrollment Verification

Mail: National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171

Student Loan Deferments

Union College submits electronic files of enrollment information monthly to the National Student Clearinghouse. This agency in turn, supplies verification of a students' enrollment status to various lending agencies. All deferment loan forms received by the College are forwarded to the Clearinghouse. Union does not supply this information directly to the lending agencies.

If a student has registered late or has had an exception processed to the term registration, this information may not be reported until the submission of the next tape. The clearinghouse asks that if the student receives a collections letter from a servicer, the student do the following:

Call the lending agency to see if a deferment form was received between the time the Clearinghouse supplied the information and the lending agency sent the collection letter.

If after calling the servicer, it still appears that the deferment has not been processed, the student may call the Clearinghouse at (703) 742-7791 and ask for a "Student Service Representative." The representative will verify the date on which the deferment was certified and mailed, the enrollment status that was certified, and where the forms were sent.

If an emergency exists - for example, the student is 150 days delinquent and being threatened with default - the Clearinghouse will intervene on the student's behalf by faxing another enrollment certification to the servicer. Furthermore, it will work with the servicer to ensure that the form is processed on a high-priority basis.