Graduation Information

Union offers the following undergraduate degrees: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Science degrees in Biomedical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.



To qualify for a degree, a student must:

  • Satisfactorily complete 12 terms of study at Union, including 36 term courses plus any additional courses taken as electives or to satisfy program requirements. The engineering programs require 40 courses over 12 terms. Please see exceptions to the requirement of 12 terms of study in the section, "Academic Calendar and Enrollment Requirements." For two-degree programs, refer to the section, "Combined Degree Programs."
  • Satisfactorily complete requirements in the Common Curriculum (General Education);
  • Satisfactorily complete requirements in the major field, degree program, or interdepartmental major, including senior capstone requirements such as a senior thesis, as applicable;
  • Attain minimum cumulative indices of 1.800 overall, and 2.000 in the major (and 2.000 in the minor if a minor has been declared).
  • Prior to graduation, a student should pay all sums due to the Finance Office and make satisfactory payments of any other financial obligations assumed while in college, and should return all books and materials borrowed from the library. The individual student is solely responsible for assuring that the program presented for graduation fulfills all requirements, both in general and in specialized study. The Office of the Registrar should be consulted when questions arise about the satisfaction of graduation requirements. The "Intent to Graduate" form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office as per the specified deadline. For questions concerning graduation, please contact the Registrar's Office.

Click here for the Graduation Registration Form


At Commencement, the College is pleased to recognize the accomplishments of students who have nearly completed their graduation requirements. Students who have completed all degree requirements except for one course by the end of spring term may participate fully in the Commencement ceremony, except that they will not receive their diplomas. They will process with the graduating class in alphabetical order and will cross the stage. The degree will be conferred the following December 15, pending a final audit of requirements.

Students who are short more than one course but who are within six courses of completing degree requirements by the end of spring term have the option of marching in with their class if they meet all of the following criteria:

  1. They have started their fourth year of College.
  2. They have earned 27 course credits by the end of winter term.
  3. They are signed up for a full course load spring term, and
  4. They will be within six courses of completing their degree by the end of spring term.

If a student faces an unresolved charge pertaining to the honor code or conduct code, that student may be denied the opportunity to participate in the Commencement ceremony.


Union College recognizes academic distinction by awarding some undergraduate degrees summa cum laude, magna cum laude, and cum laude, these Latin honors signifying various levels of the graduates' cumulative grade point averages. The faculty has the responsibility and authority for setting the levels necessary to attain the various honors. Standards are summa cum laude (3.800 or higher), magna cum laude (3.650 to 3.799), and cum laude (3.500 to 3.649 or better). To be eligible, students must have taken at least eighteen courses toward their undergraduate degree while enrolled at Union. Latin honors are calculated for graduating seniors at the end of the winter term. If a student's spring term grades elevate their GPA such that they qualify for the next higher level of honors, then a new diploma will be ordered upon receipt of the old one.

CLOSING OF RECORDS POST-GRADUATION: Upon graduation from the College, your academic record at Union College will be closed and cannot be changed.

All degrees granted by Union College require the approval of the Board of Trustees.