DEPARTMENTAL HONORS – Union College
General Format Specifications
- General Format: Your thesis should be formatted so that the primary text is double spaced, is on a white background, and may be printed out (if necessary) on 8-1/2" x 11" paper. The left-hand margin should be 1-1/2" wide, all other margins at least 1".
- Electronic File Format: Instructions regarding how to name your electronic thesis file(s) and how to format them for submission to the library are available on the library website (under Thesis Information). When saving your file to PDF format, select the “reduce file size” option to optimize storage.
- Pagination: All prefatory material including the title page, abstract, preface, table of contents should be numbered in lower-case roman type (i, ii, iii, etc.). Arabic numerals (1, 2, 3, etc.) should be used from the first page of your text all the way to the end, including any appendices, bibliography and illustrations.
- Title Page: Strict adherence is required to the form of the title page illustrated in the sample. Information on the title page should use upper and lower case as indicated and include the name of the author, title, date (year) of graduation, and name of the department(s) or program(s) for which the thesis was written. For department or program names, use the form given in the Union College Academic Register. If you use a running title or “header” that is different from your main title, please also include it on the title page as indicated.
- Footnote and Bibliography form: Consult your thesis advisor and the department for their requirements.
- Title: A good title or subtitle ought to give a casual browser a fair idea of the nature of the material in the thesis.
- Abstract: You will be required to submit an abstract which summarizes the procedure and findings of your thesis and lists your advisor(s).The abstract should immediately follow the title-page of your thesis. This will also be used to describe your work while self-submitting your thesis to the College’s Institutional Repository, Union | Digital Works. In addition, you should come up with some basic keywords to enhance discoverability of your thesis in the Institutional Repository. These keywords will not need to be placed directly in your thesis text.