Becker Career Center

Academic Credit

Academic Credit for Internships:  

To determine if your internship will meet the requirements to count for academic credits, please view the guidelines, forms, and fee information available here.

Please read the information over carefully and then email if you have further questions.


In order to receive academic credit for an internship experience, the student needs to indicate the relevance of the internship experience to his/her academic growth and intellectual development. The academic credit must be justified in the context of a Union College education, and the internship must meet the following criteria:

*The nature of the internship work must be substantial with the active involvement of the student in aspects of the profession. Clerical, cashier and other types of routine work are not appropriate.

*The internship should involve a minimum of 100 hours of work experience. Additional credit will not be granted for work over the minimum 100 hours.

*Students may receive credit for up to two internship experiences (in any combination of Option 1, Option 2 or any other Union College internship courses). The second internship needs to be substantially different in nature from his/her first internship in order for a student to receive credit.

Option 1: Internship Transcript Notation
Students who have secured an unpaid internship that meets the guidelines above may apply for an Internship Transcript Notation. The student must register for “ISC008 Internship Transcript Notation” in the term that aligns with the internship work. This course is 0.3 course credits and is graded Pass/Fail, however it may not be used for graduation credit, either singly or in conjunction with practica credits. The student does not need a faculty sponsor nor will any graded written work be required.

Option 2: Full Course Credit
Students who have secured an internship (paid or unpaid) that meets the guidelines above and have located a Union College faculty sponsor may apply for full course credit. The internship is completed as usual and the faculty sponsor oversees a related independent study for 1.0 course credit in the faculty sponsor’s department. The nature of the academic work that the student submits to the faculty sponsor needs to be clearly documented and approved by the faculty sponsor and his/her department chair. As with any independent study, the work will often involve keeping a journal and writing a substantial research paper, although other materials such as a portfolio or some other type of final project may be appropriate.

Students are required to take the following steps:

*Complete this “Application for Internship Credit” form, and print a copy of the PDF with the information you entered (this is the hard copy of the application form). You will receive this PDF by email within a few minutes of submitting the form.

*Have the internship supervisor review and sign the hard copy of the application form, and attach a "Description of Internship”.

*If the internship is for full course credit, the student must have his/her faculty sponsor and the faculty member’s department chair read his/her application and sign the form agreeing to supervise and grade the academic work.

*If the internship is taken over the summer, the student will have to pay the summer course fee (which is the same as the fourth course fee).

*If the internship is for full course credit and is the student’s fourth course, the student must pay fees in accordance with Union’s fourth course policy. The fourth course request is required only if the full course credit is the student’s 4th course in that term.

*Submit the hard copy of the application form and attached "Description of Internship" to the Director of Scholars, Derek Zuckerman, in Old Chapel 201, no later than 5 p.m. on the last day of the 10th week in the term preceding the internship. Be sure to retain the PDF copy of your form responses that you receive by email after submitting this electronic form. If you are registering for a full credit independent study, attach that completed form as well.

*You will be notified of the status of your application and registration once your application has been reviewed.

*At the end of the internship experience, the student must receive an evaluation from the internship supervisor (a copy of which should be sent to If the internship is for full course credit, the faculty sponsor should take this evaluation into account, in addition to the student’s academic work, when submitting a final grade.

Students who do not complete at least 100 hours
will automatically fail the course associated with the internship.