The goal of networking, from a job search perspective, is to acquire knowledge about career fields of interest and build genuine relationships with professionals and experts to increase your knowledge and the likelihood of securing an opportunity for which you are well suited.
Why Network? What is Networking?
- 60-80% of job seekers secure employment by using networking generated references to uncover the "hidden" job market.
- Developing solid networking skills is one of the most important life skills you can master. Learning to build relationships in this way will greatly help you in all facets of life. Refer to the Career Center Networking Guide to get started.
- Informational Interviewing is a networking meeting where you ask professionals within a career field of interest questions regarding their work, industry, career path, educational background and general advice.
- Not sure where to begin? Utilize the Next steps to Effective Networking handout
- Utilize the UCAN Outreach Spreadsheet to record and manage communications with alumni
Union Career Advisory Network (UCAN)
UCAN is a searchable database of approximately of 13,000 Alumni and Friends of the College who have offered to share information and advice relative to their Career and/or graduate school interests. The UCAN database is exclusive to Union College students and alumni and is accessible through the UConnect Alumni Community. To gain access all students will need to attend a UCAN Orientation – see below.
Students who have completed UCAN Orientation login at ucan.union.edu/login
UCAN Orientation Schedule
UCAN Orientation Schedule - Fall 2020: During the Fall Term 2020 UCAN Orientations will be held via Zoom. Please sign up in advance through Handshake and a Zoom link will be sent to you prior to the workshop. If you are unfamiliar with Zoom meetings, please make sure your system is able to handle running them prior to the orientation workshop.
Please note: if none of the scheduled times work for you – pull together a group of 5 or more students and we’ll run it during a day and time of your choosing. If you have any additional questions, please email Pete Fowler at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Career Center at (518) 388-6176.