Communications & Marketing

Athletic Teams

Teams should be referred to by gender, then team name (both in lowercase). Examples: men’s ice hockey, women’s soccer, men’s basketball, women’s lacrosse.

Use “men’s” or “women’s” only when needed. Note that football, baseball, softball and volleyball are not co-ed programs, so gender is redundant.

Union College teams are capitalized ONLY when the word “Union” precedes them.

  • Union Hockey
  • Union Swimming and Diving
  • Union Volleyball

Use Dutchmen to refer to men’s teams, Dutchwomen to refer to women’s teams. Do not use “Dutch,” “Lady Dutch,” “Flying Dutchmen” or “Fighting Dutchmen.”

Union offers 12 intercollegiate sports for men: Baseball, basketball, crew, cross country, football, ice hockey, indoor track and field, lacrosse, outdoor track and field, soccer, swimming and diving, tennis.

Union offers 13 intercollegiate sports for women: Basketball, crew, cross country, field hockey, ice hockey, indoor track and field, lacrosse, outdoor track and field, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, volleyball.

All but two programs are NCAA Division III and compete in the Liberty League that also includes Bard College, Clarkson University, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Ithaca College, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Rochester Institute of Technology, the University of Rochester, St. Lawrence University, Skidmore College and Vassar College.

Men’s and women’s ice hockey are NCAA Division I and play in the ECACHL (a 12-school conference that also includes Brown University, Clarkson University, Colgate University, Dartmouth University, Harvard University, Princeton University, Quinnipiac University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, St. Lawrence University and Yale University).

Club sports and organizations, which do not compete at the intercollegiate level, are offered through Student Activities. They include men’s and women’s rugby, and cycling.