Dear Union College Students, Faculty and Staff,
Last Friday we wrote to inform you of a repugnant act that occurred at the Chabad Jewish Student Center. The act was particularly upsetting because it occurred on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, a day when we are called to remember the six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust, and the millions of other victims of Nazism and antisemitism.
The Schenectady Police Department has assumed responsibility for this ongoing investigation, as it occurred at a private residence. Although there is still much that the police do not know, I am writing to share two important updates.
First, we know from video footage that the perpetrators are not affiliated with Union College. Second, the Schenectady Police Department does not have any reason to believe that there is a heightened threat to Chabad or the Jewish community.
We will continue to stay in close contact with the police, while providing support to the Rubin family at Chabad and the many students who engage Chabad. While we await further answers, we do want to once again stress that Union College stands against hate in all forms, be it antisemitism or any other form of hate.'
Addressing issues related to bias and hate are an important part of the education we provide at Union. We make this clear through our statements, in our actions, in our courses, and in our programming, such as this powerful event in the Nott Memorial focused on hate.
You will soon hear about additional programming being planned jointly by Chabad and Hillel student leaders and the College’s Office of Intercultural Affairs.
As always, we encourage anyone who wants to discuss or process this or other bias incidents to contact one or more of the following resources:
- Eppler-Wolff Counseling Center (students)
- Employee Assistance Program (employees)
- Office of Intercultural Affairs
- Chief Diversity Officers
- Religious Life Staff
- Bias Awareness, Support and Education (BASE) Team
- Report a Bias-Related Incident/Hate Crime - If you would like to report a bias-related incident or hate crime, please visit the Bias Awareness, Support and Education Team website and file a report.
- Click here if you would like to report a bias incident by/for students.
- Click here if you would like to report a bias incident by/for employees.