Bursar's Office

Tax Information


Form 1098-T Tuition Statements are mailed to U.S. citizens and Resident Alien students to their home address at the end of January each year. The 1098-T will report pertinent student account information for each term attended during the tax year, which can span two academic years. For the 2023 1098-T, it can include Winter Term 2023, Spring Term 2023, Summer Term 2023 and Fall Term 2023 (School Year 23-24). The 1098-T will report amounts paid for qualifying tuition (tuition only) as well as scholarship and grant information for these terms.

IMPORTANT NOTE: BOX 1 Payments made cannot exceed amounts billed for qualified tuition and depending on your payments made to Union, may only reflect amounts billed.

Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit. (You can find detailed information about claiming education tax credits in IRS Publication 970, page 9.) The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return. For more information about Form 1098-T, visit the IRS website.

Union College is unable to provide you with individual tax advice. Please consult with an informed tax preparer or adviser for assistance with your tax reporting questions.

Taxpayers should rely upon their own financial records and the advice of their tax professional when determining whether an educational tax benefit exists. Please refer to the Student Instructions on the 1098-T form (FAQ #7), to the IRS web site (www.irs.gov) and Publication 970, http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf for further information on educational tax benefits. The amounts reported by Union College on the student’s 1098-T Tuition Statement are correct based on Union Colleges interpretation of the Internal Revenue Code 26 U.S.C. § 25A and an analysis of Union College accounts receivable process. Union College will not change 1098-T reporting based on a taxpayer’s interpretation of the Internal Revenue code.

Please email 1098-T copy requests to bursar@union.edu. Phone requests cannot be honored.



International students who want to receive a 1098-T must provide their Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer ID Number (ITIN) no later than February 28th after the tax year. Once your SSN/ITIN is added, you will receive a 1098-T for every future year in which you have qualified transactions.

TL11A -Tuition and Enrollment Certificate-University Outside Canada:

Canadian Tax Statements are sent to all Canadian students to their home address. A copy of the statement is also sent to their Union College campus box by the end of February each year. The TL11A will report terms of attendance in the previous calendar year as well as total tuition and fees paid.

1042-S Tax forms are sent to international students to their Union College campus box by the end of February each year. Only international students who receive scholarships greater than eligible education expenses, resulting in taxable income, will receive this form.