Residential Education

Exemptions to the Live On Requirement

Union College is a residential institution, and all students are required to live in on-campus housing unless they receive specific approval from the Office of Residential Education & Housing releasing them from said requirement. The Senior Off-Campus Release process for the 2024-2025 academic year has already occurred and concluded.

However, we know that there are circumstances that require certain students to live off-campus. Any student who falls into the category below and is considering living off campus as an upper-class student must apply for an exemption to the live-on requirement now by April 7th, 2024. Students with the following circumstances are invited to apply for an exemption to the Residency Requirement.

If you believe one of these exemption categories applies to your specific situation, and you would like to move forward with the application process please reach out to us directly at For information on the criteria required to apply for a specific exemption please visit our residency requirement exemptions webpage.

Commuter Student who permanent address is with their parent(s), or guardian(s) is within 30 miles of the Union College address (807 Union Street, Schenectady, NY 12308) Any documents that verifies student residence (ie. utility bill, identification card, or lease agreement). If the student is residing with a guardian or family they must explain their relationship with that individual.
Married Student who is either married or in a civil partnership Government-issued certificate recognizing the partnership (ie. marriage license or domestic partnership certificate)
Dependent Children Students who have dependent children that live with them at least 50% of the time. Birth certificate, tax document with dependent claim
Disability Students with disabilities which cannot be accommodated with the residence hall living environment. Students must have registered with Accommodative Services and received an accommodation recommendation for an exemption to be considered. A student's condition must first meet the general eligibility criteria to request any accommodation as a student with an ADA recognized impairment
Veteran Students who are veterans of the armed forces who are 20 years or older at initial enrollment Any government-issued document verifying service. For example: certificate of release or discharge (DD-214), GI Bill® certificate of eligibility, etc.
Situational At the sole discretion of The Office of Residential Education & Housing Justification must be included in the application. Specific criteria on the exemption is at the sole discretion of the Office of Residential Education & Housing