Residential Life


  • What should I not bring to my residence hall/room?

    Once a term, the RAs will conduct Life Safety Inspections of every room within a residence hall. This is important so that we can maintain fire safety and overall safety of the building.

  • What size are the beds in the residence halls?

    Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36"x80"). The Office of Residential Life has partnered with Dormify to provide students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase Twin XL sheets, bedding, storage solutions, and everything else you'll need for your new home away from home. Please visit to start creating your new dream room.

    Students may expand the size of their mattress to a full size by working with DutchDorm to rent one of their bed toppers. DutchDorm is a company by Union students, for Union students, and is not managed by Union College staff. For more information check out the Dutch Dorm website.

  • What is a lofted bed?

    The beds in all residences are fully adjustable to different heights. At the highest, the bed provides 38" of clearance underneath. You can also request a lofted bed or bunk beds through facilities. To see what these different configurations look like, please click below:

  • What furnishings are included in my room?

    As of fall 2021, all residential spaces EXCEPT Garnet Commons, Minerva houses and CPH have new furnishings. The furniture includes:

    • An adjustable height twin XL bed. The height can adjust to allow for 38" of clearance under the bed, which can fit the dresser, a mini fridge or other storage items.
    • A 3-drawer dresser.
    • A 2-drawer pedestal storage
    • A cantilevered desk that can attach to the bed frame, or can be used as a lap desk (28" x 16-1/2" x 13-11/16")
    • A task chair with mesh back and black upholstered seat
    • Hanging storage (either built-in or free-standing wardrobe)
  • I have some questions regarding my cable.

    The cable company we use, Time Warner Cable, will help you out with any questions or problems you are having, as well as provide you with information about premium options that you may purchase. During the start of the fall term, Time Warner Cable holds office hours on campus. These dates/times are advertised in the residence halls.

  • Where do I do laundry?

    There are washers and dryers in each building and they are free to use! Each student pays $25.00 as a part of their housing deposit to cover the cost of using the laundry machines. You will need to learn how to do it on your own, or you may opt to contact E&R Laundry Service at (800) 243-7789 . They provide washing, drying, folding, and dry cleaning service on an account basis.

  • Where can I get food on campus? How about off-campus?

    West Dining is primarily used by first-year students but is open to all. Upperclass Dining (for upper-class students, hence the name), Dutch Hollow, Garlic Nott (pizza/Italian) and the 807 Deli are in Reamer Campus Center. The half-century-old Rathskeller is a subterranean snack bar and casual hangout below Old Chapel. Starbucks coffee drinks and teas, and pastries and snacks are offered at a kiosk located in the Wold Center. If you have questions about your meal-plan or about eating on campus in general, contact Union College Hospitality. If you want to eat out, check out this list of off-campus restaurants.

  • How do I get a Microfridge? Can I bring my own?

    You may rent a Microfridge unit by contacting Refrigerator Leasing, (607) 431-9525. This unit combines a refrigerator, freezer, and microwave that operates on the low amperage required in the residence halls. Only one (1)'Microfridge' may be rented per room or two per suite. The refrigerator/freezer can also be rented without the microwave. Please note that the Microfridge is the only acceptable microwave for our residence hall rooms. You may also bring in your own small refrigerator, as long as it is no larger than 5.0 cubic feet. And please don't keep food too long, or you might have some not-too-pleasant odors that are sure not to please your friends.

  • Is the College liable for my belongings while I am at school?

    Union College is not responsible for damage or theft to any of your personal items.

  • So, do I need some type of additional coverage for my cellphone, laptop, books, clothes, etc?

    Union recommends purchasing a lost cost Student Personal Property program. We have contracted with an excellent company who can assist you. You can find more information here.

  • Won't my parent's homeowner's policy pay for that kind of stuff?

    Not necessarily. There are usually restrictions on things outside of the home, especially electronics. Also, homeowners policies usually have a very high deductible of $500 to $1,000.

  • Is there some place I can store my belongs over the summer?

    Dorm Room Movers is Union College's preferred door-to-door moving, storage, and shipping solution. Signing up is easy -- visit Dorm Room Movers, select a pickup date, and pack your items up with free boxes and tape available for pickup at the Res Life Office. On your selected day, a moving crew will arrive at your door, pick up your items, store them for the summer, and deliver them back in the Fall. All College Storage also offers shipping services, automatic insurance on each item, and text message notifications, making it the easiest way to move out on campus! Visit Dorm Room Movers for more info, or contact their customer service team directly at (888) 769-3676.

  • I'm looking for something fun to do tonight. Any ideas?

    Check out Student Activities for on-campus fun, or you can explore ideas for off-campus resources here.

  • I've got a maintenance concern.

    In order to get help, simply go to the online facilities request. You will be able to get email updates on the progress of your work request so you will know if there are any problems which delay getting your problem repaired! You can also let your RA know of issues within the building.

  • Does Union have its own security department? What are their hours? What do they offer?

    Campus Safety is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Not only do they patrol the campus, they also provide free services such as a campus shuttle service (Seward's Trolley), a walking escort service, and assistance with your vehicle if you are having minor problems (i.e. jumpstart). Visit their website for more information.

  • If I'm not feeling well, is there anywhere on campus that I can go?

    Health Services is located in the Wicker Wellness Center and assists students with healthy living, as well as treatment for illnesses and injuries. If the illness or injury requires hospital attention, we typically use Ellis Hospital, which is about two blocks from the campus.

  • Is there a campus counseling center?

    The Counseling Center is located in the Wicker Health and Counseling Center.

  • What is the room change process?

    Living in a residence hall is a unique experience that offers you many great opportunities to grow and learn from. Throughout your life, you will meet people that you have positive and negative interactions with. Residential Life encourages you to make the most out of a roommate experience as you can. In the event that you are having issues with your room environment, we strongly encourage you to communicate with your resident adviser first before the issue becomes bigger than necessary. Being proactive in any type of relationship provides the opportunity to resolve issues that can be communicated and compromised through. Therefore, a mediation will be requested between you and your roommate or suitemates before anything additional can happen. Please also keep in mind that the Residential Life office does not approve any room changes during the first and last two weeks of any academic term due to roster verifications. Final room change approvals are at the discretion of the Residence Director, and no resident is allowed to change rooms without the explicit permission of their Residence Director. If you have any questions regarding the process for room changes, please contact your resident adviser.

  • Can I live off campus?

    All students are required to live on campus for their entire time at Union College, if space is available. When space is unavailable, a lottery will occur in the winter term for rising senior students wishing to be released from campus. Only a limited number of students will be released from campus and that number will change each year based on class size and on-campus beds available. If the number of rising seniors wishing to be released is not high enough, the process will be opened up to members of the rising junior class. Students are discouraged from signing a lease with a landlord off campus until they are giving explicit permission to be released. In particular instances, non-traditional aged students may petition to live off campus at the discretion of the Director of Residential Life.

  • Can I commute from home?

    Students may register as commuters provided they are commuting from their parent/guardian's permanent address. That address must be within 30 miles of the Union College campus. Students will not be permitted to commute from another address, only from their permanent address. To request commuter status, please email with your proof of address information. Upon confirmation of your information, you will receive an email from Residential Life confirming your status. You are not a registered commuter until that confirmation is received.