Admissions Office

Transfer students

Transfer students may apply to any of our three academic terms. The deadline for fall term applications is April 15. Winter term applications are due by November 1. Spring term applications are due February 1. After the deadline, please call the Admissions office to discuss a late application. Fall transfer applications are considered on a rolling basis throughout the summer.


To be considered for transfer admission, please submit the following:

Application materials may be submitted electronically to or mailed to Office of Admissions, Grant Hall, 807 Union Street, Schenectady, NY 12308. Please note all transcripts must be official copies sent to Union directly from the issuing institution.

What we look for

Successful transfer applicants present a 3.0 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale) in at least one semester of full-time academic work in courses comparable to those offered at Union College. Consideration is also given to recommendations and personal qualities. In particular, we look for students who can participate enthusiastically and constructively in the life of the College.

Union has a longstanding commitment to admitting an economically diverse student body. We meet the full demonstrated financial need of all admitted students. In order to meet this commitment we are need aware in the admissions process.

If you are able to visit campus, we encourage you to schedule an interview. An interview is not required to complete your application, but it is a way for you to round out your profile and let us learn more about your college interests and goals. We'll also be able to discuss any questions you have about Union.

Transfer of credits

Transfer credit decisions are made by the Dean of Studies and faculty members, who work together to determine which courses will transfer from other institutions. Courses in the liberal arts, sciences and engineering that are roughly comparable to courses taught at Union are usually awarded credit. Credit is only given for courses in which a student has earned a C or better.

Union accepts a maximum of two years' worth of credit (about 60 credits from a semester school) or the equivalent of 18 Union College courses. Union also does have a maximum limit for considering applicants: once a student has completed more than four full years of college-level work, they are no longer eligible to transfer. Thus, students who already have a bachelor's degree would not be eligible applicants.

For additional information, please see our guidelines below:

Frequently asked questions

  • What if I am an international transfer student – what else do I need to do to apply?
    • International applicants must submit certified English translations of all secondary and university-level course work completed.
    • We also require a recent TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo English Test score if English is not your first language. Only in very rare circumstances do we waive this requirement. After submitting your application, you may email to request a waiver form.
    • If you will not be visiting campus and wish to submit an interview, you may do so via InitialView, Duolingo, or Vericant.
  • Is an interview required?

    A personal interview is not required, but it is recommended if you are able to visit campus. A transfer interview may be scheduled at any time of year and should be completed as soon as possible, prior to the application deadline. On-campus interviews can be scheduled by calling the Admissions office at (518) 388-6112. Please note that we do not offer off-campus interviews for transfer students.

  • May I reapply if I previously applied as a first-year student?

    Yes, by reapplying using the Common Application or Coalition Application for Transfer students.

  • How important are my high school grades and standardized test scores?

    Since the transfer process is a competitive one, an applicant’s entire academic history is considered in the admissions process. However, the longer a student has already been in college, the less important standardized test scores or the high school record becomes.

    Union is test-optional, which means that it is not required to submit a standardized test for consideration. However, it is recommended that students with less than one year of full-time study completed at another college or university submit either their SAT or ACT scores. If these scores do not appear on your official high school transcript, please request that the College Board or the American College Testing Program send the official result/s to Union.

  • Is financial aid available for transfer students?

    Yes. Financial aid applicants must submit the CSS PROFILE Form, available online at, the Free Application for Federal student Aid (FAFSA), available at as well as some supplemental forms. These must be submitted by the admissions application deadline. Union also offers merit-based financial assistance to qualified transfer students.

    International students seeking financial assistance must complete the College Board's CSS Profile. This application is available online at The International Certification of Finances will also be required for students prior to enrollment at the College. It is recommended that applicants to the College be prepared to contribute a minimum of $7,500 U.S. towards their cost of attendance.

  • Is housing available?

    Although housing is not guaranteed for transfer students, the Office of Residential Life makes every effort to provide on-campus housing for all transfers who request it.