Being a Summer Resident Advisor (SRA) is not only a fun experience, it’s an opportunity to be a positive role model and a student leader with students living in your residence hall. The SRA position is an opportunity to learn essential skills and responsibilities that will be valuable in your education and in your professional career. Summer Resident Advisors are key student leaders who help advance the mission of the Office of Residential Life in the areas of personal development, student learning outside the classroom, global responsibility, and engagement and service to the community.
Roles Responsibilities of the Summer Resident Adviser include but are not limited to:
- Develop a sense of community and respectful environment for students living in the residence hall.
- Establish and maintain relationships with residents by being available and approachable in the residence hall.
- Plan and implement a social program bi-weekly incorporating at least one of our core values.
- Create a set of door decorations for your summer residents.
- Respond to emergency and critical incidents involving residents related to health, safety, and security issues.
- Foster communication and community among residents and fellow staff members.
- Communicate regularly with Residence Director (supervisor).
- Maintain a positive attitude and support for Residential Life and Union College while working as an agent of the College.
- Confront and document College and Housing policy violations in the Residence Hall.
- Demonstrate appropriate and responsible behavior at all times, both inside and outside your designated hall, and follow all policies and procedures set forth by the College.
- Complete Room Condition Reports for each room in your building.
- Complete all administrative paperwork required.
- Conduct check-in’s and check-out’s as students are moving in and out of their rooms each term.
- Balance time and responsibilities of SRA position, academics, and extra-curricular activities effectively.
- Maintain 10 main office hours each week in Reamer 409.
The ideal Summer Resident Advisor is an undergraduate student who demonstrates an understanding of both the mission of Union College and of Residential Life Programs. Ideal candidates will have demonstrated experience in leadership, conflict resolution, teamwork, and working with diverse groups of individuals. Candidates should also demonstrate competency in written and oral communication, as well as use of good judgment in handling sensitive issues.
Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
Resident Advisers receive the following compensation in exchange for fulfilling their responsibilities in the halls:
- Full single room waiver for the Summer 20 term
- $400 salary for the term either in one lump sum at the end or two $200 payments over the course of the term.
Friday, April 3, 2020 - Summer RA Job Application available.
Monday, April 27, 2020 - Summer RA Application due in Reamer 409.
Friday, May 1, 2020- Summer RA Interview Offers Sent Out.
Friday, May 8, 2020 - Summer RA Decision Offers Sent Out.
Friday, May 15, 2020 - Summer RA Candidate Decisions due to the Residential Life Office.